[linux-audio-announce] GStreamer "Private Dancer" 0.5.0 released

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Tue Dec 10 17:10:04 EST 2002

GStreamer "Private Dancer" 0.5.0 released

The GStreamer team is happy to announce another release of the GStreamer
streaming-media framework. This release has mainly focused on code
clean-up and rounding out of the features. Large chunks of GStreamer are
API stable at this point.

This is a development release, in which we test several new features and
change installs and break stuff ! Do not update unless you are a
developer or willing to deal with issues that will crop up. You have
been warned ;)

>From now on, GStreamer will follow a versioning scheme similar to kernel
and GTK+/GLib releases. Odd minor numbers (like for this release) will
be development releases. While GStreamer itself is very much under
development, during stable releases we will guarantee API- and
ABI-stability. The point of this development release cycle is to support
Gnome 2.1.x development.

GStreamer major-minor series versions will now be parallel-installable.
Please update your applications to check for gstreamer-0.5,
gstreamer-libs-0.5 and gstreamer-play-0.5 using pkg-config.

Our development currently focuses on the following items:

      * Increase stability and portability of scheduler
      * Add more video editing specific plugins
      * Improve plugins currently used by existing applications
      * Create language bindings

You find download instructions here:
http://www.gstreamer.net/releases/0.5.0/

Updates and Enhancements
General
      * We will soon provide an apt repository with RPMS for Yellow Dog
        Linux thanks to Christopher Taylor.
      * Misc Linux PPC and FreeBSD buildfixes
      * Many fixes to enable Solaris compilation with Forte
      * parallel-installability fixes
      * libtool versioning

Core
      * Main scheduler moved to GThread
      * Registry moved from /etc to /var/cache
      * fix crasher bug in fdsrc element
      * more portability work, including 64-bit fixes
      * timecaches

Plug-ins
      * XV_COLORKEY issues fix
      * Raw1394 plugin build fix
      * Ogg and mp3 metadata support
      * Modplug mod plugin fixed to work within the Gst-player &
        Rhythmbox
      * UDP plugin updated to work with dynamic caps
      * Fix so OSS open with O_NONBLOCK
      * New pngenc plugin
      * Fix endianess and usigned issues in wavparse plugin
      * mpeg plugin moved to use new mpeg2dec 0.3.0 release
      * Fix endianness and unsigned issues in wavparse plugin
      * media info library under development

GStreamer Homepage
More details on these features can be found on the project's website,
http://gstreamer.net/.

Support and Bugs
We use Gnome's Bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests. The
"product name" is GStreamer (capital G). Please do the following before
writing a bug report :

gst-feedback &> feedback 2>&1
and attach the file "feedback" to your bug report, so that we have some
information useful in the debugging process.

Developers
GStreamer is hosted on SourceForge. All code is in CVS and can be
checked out from there. Interested developers of the core library,
plug-ins, and applications should subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list.
If there is sufficient interest we will create more lists as necessary.

We are still looking for people with access to Solaris, HP-UX, Irix and
True64 that would be willing to try building and testing GStreamer.
Patches fixing such problems are also more than welcome.

Contributors to this release
Patches to the core of Gstreamer
      * Wim Taymans <wim.taymans(AT)chello.be>
      * Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas(AT)apestaart.org>
      * David I. Lehn <dlehn(AT)vt.edu>
      * David Schleef <ds(AT)schleef.org>
      * Leif Morgan Johnson <lmjohns3(AT)eos.ncsu.edu>

Plugins and Sample Applications
      * Ronald Bultje <rbultje(AT)ronald.bitfreak.net>
      * Ben Liblit <liblit(AT)eecs.berkeley.edu>
      * Steve Baker <stevebaker_org(AT)yahoo.co.uk>
      * Iain Holmes <iain(AT)prettypeople.org>
      * Jan Schmidt <thaytan(AT)bigpond.net.au>
      * Jérémy Simon <jsimon13(AT)yahoo.fr>
      * Zeeshan Ali <zak147(AT)yahoo.com>
      * Mark Humphreys <mmarquee(AT)btinternet.com>
      * Colin Walters <walters(AT)gnu.org>
      * Pedro Côrte-Real <typo(AT)netcabo.pt>
      * Jon Nall <nall(AT)themountaingoats.net >

Misc
      * Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus(AT)gnome.org>
      * Christopher Taylor <ct(AT)clemson.edu>
      * Christian Meyer <chrisime(AT)gnome.org>
      * Alp Toker <pokey(AT)linuxmail.org>
      * Joshua N. Pritikin <vishnu(AT)pobox.com>
      * Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus(AT)FreeBSD.org>