[linux-audio-announce] Sweep 0.5.5
conrad at vergenet.net
Fri Sep 20 07:25:04 EDT 2002
two things -- I'll be doing a demo of Sweep at this month's SLUG meeting,
showing off a lot of the latest new features and fun things to do. Also,
there's a new release out with much improved and easier to use LADSPA
plugins, and even more intuitive scrubbing for sound editing. Thanks
especially to Ulrich Detert and Steve Harris for help on this release.
If you haven't played with Sweep yet, now's as good a time as any. First
of all meet Scrubby (http://www.metadecks.org/software/sweep/scrub.html)
and then start mixing up your files. Or edit them, if that's your game ...
Developers: Sweep's a great platform for testing LADSPA plugins, so if
you're into that, check it out. Also there's plenty of work you can do
on Sweep itself, hop onto sweep-devel at lists.sf.net for some pointers.
As always, all this and more at http://sweep.sourceforge.net/
1. Sweep Demo at Sydney LUG meeting, Sep. 27
There will be a demo of the latest Sweep features, including
live DJing and experimental music techniques at the Sydney
LUG meeting on Sep. 27 2002; see http://www.slug.org.au/
2. Sweep 0.5.5 Development Release
Sweep is a sound wave editor, and it is now also generally useful as a
flexible recording and playback tool. Inside lives a pesky little virtual
stylus called Scrubby who enjoys mixing around in your files.
This development release is available as a source tarball at:
Changes since version 0.5.4 include major bugfixes for LADSPA plugin
handling and improvements in scrubbing usability.
Summary of library dependencies:
* GTK+ 1.2 (standard in most distributions)
* libsndfile-1.0.0, available at:
* libtdb, available in many distributions or at:
Sweep is designed to be intuitive and to give you full control. It includes
almost everything you would expect in a sound editor, and then some:
* precise, vinyl like scrubbing
* looped, reverse, and pitch-controlled playback
* playback mixing of unlimited independent tracks
* looped and reverse recording
* multichannel and 32 bit floating point file support
* LADSPA 1.1 effects support
* multiple views, discontinuous selections
* easy keybindings, mouse wheel zooming
* unlimited undo/redo with fully revertible edit history
* multithreaded background processing
* shaded peak/mean waveform rendering, multiple colour schemes
Help wanted! Sweep needs testing; please report any problems encountered!
Urgent development is required in the following areas: ALSA and Jack support,
updating of translations and user documentation. (NB. Sweep works fine with
ALSA under OSS emulation -- the native ALSA support needs some fixing).
Sweep is Free Software, available under the GNU General Public License.
More information is available at:
Thanks to Pixar Animation Studios and CSIRO Australia for supporting the
development of this project.
More information about the Linux-audio-announce