[linux-audio-announce] The AGNULA project calls for help: newsletter editors needed

The AGNULA Team info at agnula.org
Sat May 29 16:41:12 EDT 2004

|                  ______ ______  _     _ _                       |
|            /\   / _____)  ___ \| |   | | |        /\            |
|           /  \ | /  ___| |   | | |   | | |       /  \           |
|          / /\ \| | (___) |   | | |   | | |      / /\ \          |
|         | |__| | \____/| |   | | |___| | |_____| |__| |         |
|         |______|\_____/|_|   |_|\______|_______)______|         |

     [Sorry for cross-posting.  Feel free to forward around]

Florence, 29 May 2004

+++ THE AGNULA PROJECT CALLS FOR HELP: NEWSLETTER EDITORS NEEDED

The  AGNULA project is in  dire need of a fresh  and motivated team of
editors for its newsletter [0] (which has long been silent for lack of
manpower).  If you are  not a developer or  a  packager, this  is your
chance to contribute to our common goal -  spreading Libre Software in
the professional audio field.

+++

The  AGNULA project is in  dire need of a fresh  and motivated team of
editors for its newsletter [0] (which has long been silent for lack of
manpower).  If you are  not a developer or  a  packager, this  is your
chance to contribute to our common goal -  spreading Libre Software in
the professional audio field.

Starting from November 2003, the AGNULA Newsletter has collected all
the major news around the world regarding:

 - new   Libre Software  projects focused  on  audio/video (synthesis,
   editing, midi, digital signal processing, recording, etc);

 - new    releases of existing  Libre   Software  projects focused  on
   audio/video (same as above);

 - events, workshops, meetings devoted  to audio/video in which Libre
   Software plays a significant role;

 - new  audio/video  projects (or news    about existing project)  not
   directly related to software, which  help spreading the concept and
   the practice of Libre Knowledge;

In  the  last weeks, however, the  AGNULA  Newsletter has stopeed - we
basically don't have the manpower to take care of it anymore.

Now it's your chance to step forward!

Applicants should:

- be well aware that this is a volunteer position.  We are not able to
  pay anyone for working on our newsletter right now; [1]

- be fluent in english, the language our newsletter is written in;

- have good writing skills.   Although the bulk  of the work is simply
  collecting  news that get sent to  a dedicated mailing list (more on
  this  below) being able to  rephrase  a piece  of news is absolutely
  necessary in order to provide a readable newsletter;

- know  the Free Software audio  world reasonably well (you don't need
  to be  a senior developer, but  knowing on which   sites to look for
  information or whom  to ask is a definitive  plus and will make your
  job much easier);

- be able to use e-mail and CVS;

How does the preparation of the AGNULA newsletter work?

People send news they think are noteworthy to the

  newsletter-collect at lists.agnula.org

mailing list.  Newsletter editors should be subscribed to it in order
to have the rough material which can be later inserted into the
newsletter.

We have created an `ad hoc' GForge project for our newsletter:

  http://devel.agnula.org/projects/newsletter

and, accordingly, a dedicated CVS repository:

  http://devel.agnula.org/scm/?group_id=18

If you want to become an editor for the AGNULA newsletter, you should
register on our development portal:

  http://devel.agnula.org/account/register.php

and ask Andrea Glorioso  <sama at agnula.org>   to be inserted into   the
"newsletter"  project.  From now onwards, you  will be able to use the
CVS repository, where the newsletter past issues and the issue being
prepared are kept.

Once the newsletter is ready, it can be sent to the

  newsletter-dist at lists.agnula.org

mailing list, though which it will  be distributed to (currently) more
than 100 subscribers.

Until  we could, we tried to  make  weekly releases of the newsletter.
This is  not a hard  requirement - it's a volunteer  task, after all -
but  it would be  fantastic if we managed  to  keep everything at this
pace.

If you think you are the right person for the job, don't hesitate
writing us at:

  users at lists.agnula.org

So that all  our community can discuss about   your ideas and how  you
want to proceed.

Don't hesitate to write us even  though somebody else already did: our
goal is to create a medium-sized pool of volunteers able to handle the
AGNULA newsletter.  We perfectly understands  that more often than not
"real life" takes precedence over what  we would like  to do, but we'd
like nonetheless to   provide  the AGNULA  project  with  a  continuos
support as far as the newsletter goes.

Thank you for your time reading this, and thank you in advance for all
the help you will be able to give.

+++

About AGNULA:   Agnula (acronym for   A  GNU/Linux Audio distribution,
pronounced with a strong  g) is  the name of   a project funded  until
April  2004  by    the   European  Commission   (number  of  contract:
IST-2001-34879; key action IV.3.3, Free Software: towards the critical
mass).  After the end of the funded period,  AGNULA is continuing as a
volunteer   based project,  aiming  to  spread Libre  Software in  the
professional audio/video arena.

Best regards,

The AGNULA Team                                   info at agnula.org