[LAA] ANN: RTMix 0.76 (a.k.a. "rtmix lives on")

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed May 23 23:22:24 EDT 2007

Well, it's been over 2 (3?) years since last release, but rtmix refuses to
die ;-). Thanks solely to Robin Gareus and his heroic work in making rtmix
gcc4 compliant, I am releasing rtmix version 0.76. Apart from compile error
fixes (courtesy of Robin), there have been a few cosmetic tweaks, but most
notably, the source is now released under a 100% GPL-compliant license. That
being said, the code is still a dirty hack, the internal event cue
occasionally still misbehaves (albeit only in very complex situations), and
unfortunately native alsa seq is still MIA (uses old unix dev access). OTOH,
the thing does work as advertised, has been used, and continues to be used
in my works without a hitch. Apart from oss midi, rtmix supports networking,
OSC, and other goodness making it rather practical for on-screen
coordination as well as interaction between performer(s) and computer.

For more info on what really rtmix is please consult the HTML documentation
included with the tarball (or see online documentation info below). The
tarball (5MB) comes with source, documentation (some statements in it are
likely a bit outdated, so please take those parts with a grain of salt),
tutorials, and precompiled binary on Ubuntu 6.10 (i686, qt3, gcc), so if you
have these a simple "make install" should do it (installs in
/usr/local/rtmix and binary in /usr/local/bin). For a "simon" tutorial with
sounds you will also need sounds zipfile (11MB-ish) which are downloadable
from the same folder (just browse the folder).

To download latest RTMix click here:

http://ico.bukvic.net/Linux/RTMix/rtmix-latest.tar.gz

Online documentation:

http://ico.bukvic.net/Linux/RTMix/RTMix-docs/

Complaints to: /dev/null

Future roadmap:
Rtmix in its current state is a project in a need of a total rewrite. This
is primarily due to the fact that despite the fact rtmix appears to do the
job in 99.9% of instances, the code is an ugly hack which makes its
maintenance and perhaps more importantly expandability exponentially
difficult. That being said, I am looking forward to one of the upcoming
summers when I will dig into the code once again and rebuild the darn thing
from the ground up the way it was meant to be all along. Until then, this
version should prove an adequate substitute.

Enjoy!

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology, CCTAD, CHCI
Virginia Tech
Dept. of Music - 0240
Blacksburg, VA 24061
(540) 231-1137