[LAA] [ANN] miniloop-0.0 Released

Nick Thomas nhomas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 04:16:07 EST 2008

miniloop is a simple live looping program. It can load a number of
stereo audio loops of equal length from the disk and loop them in sync
with each other, sending each loop to a different pair of JACK audio
outputs. These outputs are intended to be subsequently fed into an
external software mixer, such as Ardour. For live performance, you
will want to control the mixer using a MIDI control surface.

miniloop is similar in intent to Stephen Sinclair's LoopDub. I
actually created miniloop to explore some design ideas that I had
while working on LoopDub. Given that, it is appropriate to provide a
comparison between the two programs.  The most important difference is
that LoopDub uses a built-in mixer, while miniloop uses an external
mixer. This means that miniloop is more flexible, but requires a more
complex software setup. Another important difference is the user
interface, which is radically different, and, I hope, somewhat easier
to use. Finally, LoopDub has many features that miniloop lacks.
miniloop is currently quite small (~500 SLOC) and quite feature-poor,
and I intend to keep it that way.

Project homepage here:

http://code.google.com/p/miniloop/

Download here: