[LAA] [ANN] setBfree - DSP tonewheel organ

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jul 15 23:05:04 UTC 2012

We are happy to share the following announcement with you,

     setBfree v0.5.0 was just released under GPLv2.

setBfree is a MIDI-controlled, software synthesizer designed to imitate
the sound and properties of the electromechanical organs and sound
modification devices that brought world-wide fame to the names and
products of Laurens Hammond and Don Leslie.

Homepage: http://setBfree.org
Source & Issue-tracker : https://github.com/pantherb/setBfree

Will Panther succeeded where others have failed and made it possible to
adopt Fredrik Kilander's Beatrix in terms of the GPL. We have spent the
last weeks to update the code-base to meet requirements and are happy to
announce a first beta version.

The organ and effects as are available as LV2 plugins as well as a
standalone JACK application. We've reworked the engine to allow
arbitrary sample-rates, standardized interfaces, fixed various bugs,
added a build-system, man-pages, a simple GUI for testing, etc.

The sound is still pretty much the same as the original awesome Beatrix.
Next steps include adding end-user documentation, tweaking and honing
the synth-engine and fixing the bugs that you discover :)

This release features contributions from
Fredrik Kilander, Ken Restivo, Will Panther and Robin Gareus.

For discussion please use the linux-audio-user list, bug reports should
to the issue-tracker at github.

Feedback of any kind is welcome.

have fun,
robin & Will