[LAA] ANN: Introducing Pd-L2Ork K-12 Learning Module

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue May 22 15:00:55 UTC 2012

Apologies for cross-posting

As we prepare for our presentation at this year'sNIME conference
<http://www.eecs.umich.edu/nime2012/>(for those attending NIME you can
see us during the 130pm demo session later today), it is my great
pleasure to announce a new version ofPd-L2Ork
<http://l2ork.music.vt.edu/main/?page_id=56>programming environment (the
backbone of our software infrastructure) featuring the K-12 learning
module prototype. Geared specifically towards K-12 students, the
newfound module addresses the lack of a robust sound- and music-oriented
programming tool for elementary, middle, and high-school students. The
current prototype is a first step towards a tiered granular design of
learning objects that aim to recontextualize pd-l2ork into a K-12
learning tool. The resulting first iteration offers a limited set of
coarse-grained objects geared primarily towards 4th and 5th graders.
This, however, has not deterredBoys & Girls Club of Southwest Virginia
<http://www.bgcswva.org/>students participating in the afterschool
program from making some quite evolved instruments using Nintendo
Wiimotes and their satellite laptop orchestra in less than three
sessions 1-hour.

For more info on Pd-L2Ork see our Software page. To enable the K12 mode,
simply start pd-l2ork with the -k12 flag as follows:

pd-l2ork -k12

I would like to hereby encourage all interested in furthering the said
tool to join us on thel2ork-dev mailing list
<http://disis.music.vt.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/l2ork-dev>. We are
particularly interested in growing a library of coarse-grained objects
pertaining to sound generation and signal manipulation.

For additional info including a screenshot and a video footage please
visit http://l2ork.music.vt.edu/main/?p=1964

Best wishes,

--
Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A