[LAA] Rivendell v4.0.0beta3

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Oct 14 02:58:02 CEST 2021

On behalf of the entire Rivendell development team, I'm pleased to
announce the availability of the fourth public beta release of the next
major version of Rivendell, v4.0.0beta3. Rivendell is a full-featured radio
automation system targeted for use in professional broadcast
environments. It is available under the GNU General Public License
version 2.

From the 'NEWS' file:
*** snip snip ***
   Fourth beta release of Rivendell v4.x. Be sure to read the INSTALL
   document, as major changes in software dependencies have occurred.

Major Changes Between v3.x and v4.x:
   Qt Toolkit. Rivendell v4.x uses and is fully compatibile with major
   version 5 of Qt (Qt5). See the INSTALL documents for specifics.

   Date/Time Customizability. Date/Time presentation formats can now be
   customized on the basis of site perferences.

   MySQL Compatibility. Rivendell v4.x aims for full compatibility with
   MySQL 8.0 and earlier versions in their default installation
   configurations.

   RDAirPlay. The rdairplay(1) has been completely overhauled, and now
   supports dynamic resizeability as well as a revamped level metering
   system.

   RDPanel. The rdpanel(1) now supports dynamic resizing.

   Many bug and regression fixes. See the 'ChangeLog' for details.

Database Update:
   This version of Rivendell uses database schema version 355, and will
   automatically upgrade any earlier versions. To see the current schema
   version prior to upgrade, see RDAdmin->SystemInfo.

   Be sure to run 'rddbmgr --modify' (as root) immediately after upgrading
   to allow any necessary changes to the database schema to be applied.
*** snip snip ***

New installations of Rivendell v4.x can be generated using one of the following online installers:

For RedHat/CentOS 7:
	https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/CentOS/7rd4/ <https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/CentOS/7rd4/>

For UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS “Focal Fossa”:
	https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/ubuntu/focal/ <https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/ubuntu/focal/>

This release also sees the debut of an additional fully supported distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (RHEL 8). Installation instructions can be found at:
	https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/rhel/8rd4/

If you have already installed a previous Rivendell v4.x beta, you can upgrade that installation to v4.0.0beta2 by means of the following commands:

For RedHat/CentOS 7:

	sudo yum clean expire-cache
	sudo yum update rivendell

For UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS “Focal Fossa”:

	sudo apt update
	sudo apt upgrade rivendell

Please feel free to spin up either environment and put the system through its paces. Please create an Issue report for any problems found at:

	https://github.com/ElvishArtisan/rivendell/issues <https://github.com/ElvishArtisan/rivendell/issues>

Be sure to mention both the version of Rivendell and distribution used.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in    |
|    overalls and looks like work.                                    |
|                                                  -- Thomas Edison   |