[LAA] Rivendell v4.0.0rc1

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Dec 27 21:06:13 CET 2022

On behalf of the entire Rivendell development team, I'm pleased to announce the availability of the second release candidate for the next major version of Rivendell, v4.0.0rc0. Rivendell is a full-featured radio automation system targeted for use in professional broadcast environments. It is available under the GNU General Public License version 2.

From the 'NEWS' file:
*** snip snip ***
Changes:
Major Changes Between v3.x and v4.x:
   Qt Toolkit. Rivendell v4.x uses and is fully compatibile with major
   version 5 of Qt (Qt5). See the INSTALL documents for specifics.

   Date/Time Customizability. Date/Time presentation formats can now be
   customized on the basis of site preferences.

   MySQL Compatibility. Rivendell v4.x aims for full compatibility with
   MySQL 8.0 and earlier versions in their default installation
   configurations.

   RDAirPlay. The rdairplay(1) module has been completely overhauled, and
   now supports dynamic resizeability as well as a revamped level metering
   system.

   RDPanel. The rdpanel(1) module now supports dynamic resizing.

   RDLogManager. It is now possible to disable grid processing on a
   service-by-service basis, thus permitting a complete schedule to
   be generated by an external music scheduler. See the 'Bypassing Grid
   Processing' section in the 'Generating Logs and Reports with
   RDLogManager' section of the Operation Guide for details.

   Many bug and regression fixes. See the 'ChangeLog' for details.

Database Update:
   This version of Rivendell uses database schema version 366, and will
   automatically upgrade any earlier versions. To see the current schema
   version prior to upgrade, see RDAdmin->SystemInfo.

   Be sure to run 'rddbmgr --modify' (as root) immediately after upgrading
   to allow any necessary changes to the database schema to be applied.
*** snip snip ***

Details and source code are available at  https://github.com/ElvishArtisan/rivendell/releases <https://github.com/ElvishArtisan/rivendell/releases>.

Additionally, online installers for deploying Rivendell v4.x are available for the following Linux distributions:

1) Ubuntu 22.04 “Jammy Jellyfish”: https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/ubuntu/jammy/

2) RHEL/CentOS 7: https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/CentOS/7rd4/

3) RHEL/Rocky 8: https://software.paravelsystems.com/howtos/rhel/8rd4/

NOTE: It was my original intent to add an installer for RHEL/Rocky 9 to the above list, but this has proved impractical due to the broken state of several package dependences in Fedora’s ‘Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux’ [EPEL] repository. Some of these have open issues reporting severe problems dating back for almost a year, with no sign of any intent or attempt to address the issues. In light of this and other signs in the wind that Fedora’s corporate parent has effectively decided write off the community-facing aspects of their ecosystem, I’ve decided that RHEL 8 will be the last RHEL-based distribution to have a dedicated online installer.

If you encounter a bug or problem, please consider opening an issue report for it at: https://github.com/ElvishArtisan/rivendell/issues.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
| Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules: The first ninety percent   |
| of the task takes ninety percent of time, and the last ten percent  |
| take the other ninety percent.                                      |