[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Tue Dec 3 04:16:01 UTC 2002

> >I know there are probably other people who are writing similar apps.  If we
> >have similar goals, I'd be happy to collaborate instead.
> >
> >Thanks for the time.  I'm tired of waiting for new versions of Windows music
> >apps, only to find the features I want STILL not implemented.  Linux needs a
> >TRULY GOOD music studio project.
>
> come on over and get coding on ardour! it will be as good as you care
> to help make it.

So I took a look, and Ardour seems great, but somewhat orthogonal to my
idea, which is much more about sequencing virtual instuments.  YOu're trying
to replace ProTools (and doing reasonably well, it seems) and I'm trying to
replace FruityLoops or Reason.

Do you see a melding of Ardour with that ideal?  My general design for my
app has been VERY plugin-centric. I imagine the mixer, audio-recording (if
any), audio-output, and everything in between as plugins.  Also, I don't
know C++ too well, though I guess I should learn it.

Before I dig too far into your code - do you want me to try to steer it
towards my own ideas, or would you rather we just use JACK to each do what
we do well and still play together?

Tim

p.s. Whether I work on Ardour or not, I'm stealing some of your code/ideas :)