[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 4 12:36:37 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 10.35, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 03:04:18 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > IMHO, plugins should not worry about whether or not their outputs
> > are connected. (In fact, there are reasons why you'd want to
> > always guarantee that all ports are connected before you let a
> > plugin run. Open inputs would be connected to a dummy silent
> > output, and open outputs would be connected to a /dev/null
> > equivalent.)
>
> In modular synth systems there are good reasons why you want to
> know whether things are connected (and good reasons why they
> wouldn't be), but this spec so far is not useful to a modular
> synth, so in this case I agree.

Well, I actually agree with disconnected outputs making sense - but I
think plugins should have a chance of deciding how to deal with it,
preferably before/during instantiation. (See my previous post.)

[...]
> I'm not sure what peoples opinions on numbers of outputs are,
> obviously the number needs to be variable per instrument at
> development time, but I dont think it should be variable at
> instantiation time, that doesn't sound useful, and it would be hell
> to optimise.

I don't see why a mixer plugin would have serious trouble supporting
1+ strips. Basic mixers strips could indeed be implemented as
separate plugins, but if you want PFL, busses and stuff, I think
you're much better off implementing and optimizing that within a
single plugin.

Besides, I bet someone can come up with something with much more
intricate inter-channel relations than a mixer...

[...]
> On controls:
>
> It seems like you need two sets, per instrument and per voice, they
> should share the same interface, and the per voice ones definatly
> should not be limited to modulation,chorus,whatever.
>
> My feeling is that just float+"arbitrary opaque binary data" is
> enough. The float can be augmented with hints, enumerations,
> whatever.

I agree.

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|