[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 4 18:46:00 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 22.57, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:40:01 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > Well, no, because for advanced instruments (eg. a full featured
> > > sampler) we have jack.
> >
> > Well, yes - modulo a sample accurate event system that deals with
> > stuff beyond MIDI.
>
> OSC?

Maybe. It has been mentioned, IIRC. What happened?

> > > I think its reasonable to expect a jack app to be able to
> > > natively understand MIDI/OSC/CV/whatever.
> >
> > Sure - but how do I connect a sequencer to it, and how do I make
> > it all stay in sync? I think people will soon expect timing and
> > reliable of softsynths to be *better* than h/w synths + MIDI; not
> > worse.
>
> Well, alsa-seq, DMIDI or OSC, the linux MIDI sequencers I've seen
> support alsa-seq, and some support OSC. All of these will give
> better timing than hardware MIDI IIRC.

Well, I guess I'll just try one or more of them. I want to have
Audiality running as a JACK client ASAP, and the most important part
of that is the replacement of raw MIDI input with something
timestamped that some useful sequencer can handle. (Linux only of
course; I don't have, and don't want a Windows machine for sequencing
any more.)

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|