[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] LAD Meeting at ZKM, Karlsruhe/Germany 14.-16. March 2003

Dr. Matthias Nagorni mana at suse.de
Thu Dec 5 12:06:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Martin Wolters wrote:

> This sounds like a great idea. I am not completely clear on the scope of
> the event. Besides the different focus of discussions, what is the

At this early stage, the scope depends on the feedback of the LAD list.
The lists are where the music plays and since this is a LAD event,
everybody is invited to contribute ideas. What I have clarified with ZKM
is that we can get two small rooms and a lecture hall for the entire
duration of the meeting.

Joern has set up an announcement
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/eventszkm2003.php3
and I started to list speakers and abstracts on
http://www.suse.de/~mana/ladzkm.html

> difference between public and non-public? I am also interested in the
Public talks/presentations are open to everyone interested. They will be
announced in the printed programme of ZKM, in the local press, and
in the university of Karlsruhe and, if possible, also the universities of
Heidelberg, Stuttgart and Mannheim. Part of the talks should be
interesting for musicians (my ams talk hopefully), other talks can be as
high level as Paul's proposed talk.

Non-Public sessions are just LAD internal discussions like e.g. on
audio session management with or without JACK, LADSPA extension or
whatever other favourite subjects we have.

> expected quality and general structure of public sessions: Who do you
> expect will attend? How long is a presentation? Presentation language?
I expect the technical talks to be attended by LAD members, local Linux
hackers, members of local Linux groups, students of local universities.

> Available equipment? Will there be presentations in parrallel or just
> sequentially in a single room?

This is still to be seen. it depends on how many talks there will be.
Sequential talks would have the advantage that you don't risk to miss
anything. Part of the necessary equipment will be available from ZKM,
part can probably be organized by LAD members the way it worked successfully
for the Linuxtag LAD booth this summer.

> I have two ideas, but I am not certain that they will fit the program:
>
> a) "Using Linux and OpenSource software for Digital Audio Signal
> Processing Development"

Have a look at Steve's abstract. I think it would fit well if Steve stated
the principles of DSP and you demonstrated some powerful tools for it.
So please send an abstract and I will add it to the list of proposed
talks.

> b) Open questions and FAQ
> This could be a session where key contributors are available to answer,
> present and discuss general issues. I am thinking of a single session
> with about 4-5 experts on certain areas [ALSA, MIDI/Sequencing, PCM

This should be done in the non-public sessions. And after each public
talk/presentation there should also be enough time for questions
and discussion.

> session. We can even broadcast the session over the web (provided ZKM
> has high-speed internet access) and accept questions through an IRC or
> something. I am willing to help with the required preperation.

Interesting idea. To be discussed with ZKM...

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni
SuSE GmbH