[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] 2.4.20-rc1 + lowlat +preempt + alsa + jack = dead computer

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Fri Dec 6 21:55:01 UTC 2002

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > Have you tried anything in between pre10-ac3 and pre4? I know pre4 works
> > > fine. I probably should post to the lkml with as much detail as we can
> > > get (unless some kernel hacker is actually reading these messages).
> >
> > I've tried every kernel from 2.4.20-pre5 up to 2.4.20-pre10, and again
> > 2.4.20-pre10-ac3, which caused a lockup on my system in the past, this
> > afternoon. And I couldn't reproduce even _one_ lockup. I use another IDE
> > interface though: a cmd649 add-on controller. The lockups happened with
> > the onboard IDE interface (VIA KT333 chipset, vt8235 southbridge).
>
> To add one more datapoint to the thread and (apparently good news): I'm
> testing 2.4.20 (final) + lowlat + preempt + acpi + alsa + jack and the
> computer seems to be chugging along nicely. This is with today's alsa. A
> slighly older alsa did lock the computer after 5 or so minutes of jack
> activity but I managed to reboot it with the sysrq magic key. With the
> newest alsa I got jack + freqtweak + ams (with the demo patch) running
> for 50 minutes until for some reason jack died due to a watchdog
> interrupt. Not bad.

Where are the lowlat and preempt patches for 2.4.20?

The most recent preempt I see is preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.20-pre10-ac2-1:

http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/

And the most recent lowlat is for 2.4.19:

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html#downloads

Are there other places I should be looking for these?

Thanks,
Eric Rz.