[linux-audio-dev] The global API namespace

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Dec 7 11:05:00 UTC 2002

On Saturday 07 December 2002 07.36, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > How about this for Audiality:
> >
> > 	Functions:	a_whatever()
> > 	Types:		at_whatever
>
> I think a_ is too breif.

I think so too... Could mean anything - and many names and words
start with an 'a'.

>  aud_foo(), maybe.  And types of
> AUD_foo_type; Its the easiest.

"aud" sounds rather generic - could stand for anything to do with
audio, and probably some other things. Doesn't seem to be in use in
any public APIs, though.

I should have picked a shorter name - or a long name with a nice and
short acronym. ;-)

> Because nothing sucks worse than
> accidentally namig a variable or function the same as a type and
> trying to figure it out.  Ugh

Exactly. That's why I used *_t - but we're not getting away that
easy. APIs are *supposed* to look messy, or something...