[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Dec 7 11:39:00 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:44:39 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> I'm still not sure I understand the terminology here... Considering
> some recent posts, I assume that the following applies:

Yes, more or less. I was using instrument as in VSTi instrument, ie an
instance of a thing instantiated from a .so file. The word plugin is far
too overloaded.

The intention is that these things would (on the whole) be sound
generators, right? To me plugin implies inline processing.

> As to the "gets a voice ID" thing, no, I think this is a bad idea.
> The host should *pick* a voice ID from a previously allocated pool of
> Virtual Voice IDs. That way, you eliminate the host-plugin or
> plugin-plugin (this is where it starts getting interesting)
> roundtrip, which means you can, amond other things:

Good idea.

- Steve