[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Dec 8 05:41:00 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:26:32 +0000, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> I think velocity is special because it is often needed by the synthesis
> algorithm only at the beginning of the note.  For instance, if you have a
> physical model of a bell then the velocity will determine the shape and
> magnitude of the impulse function you use to represent the striker.  Changing
> it midway through the note, after the bell has been hit, is meaningless.

A Bell is a good example of something where you want multiple velocity
events, you could call voice_on() or whatever to initialise the physical
model instance, then you send simultaneous velocity and position events to
indicate that the bell has been struck.

Its not true for a impulse derived bell but a weaveguide model of a bell
struck twice has a different sound to a pair of identical ones each struck
once at the respective times.

- Steve