[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Sun Dec 8 13:17:00 UTC 2002

Frank,
   I agree with your comments. I'd also like to see the developers at
least understand and consider these sorts of protocols also. In the end
something good will come out of it.

   Actually, the use of MIDI velocity information is a strong selling
point of GigaStudio. In GigaStudio you can map up to 16 different
samples for a given MIDI note. The most common usage in the better
libraries is to use 4 velocity levels to trigger different samples to be
played back. Inside of that velocity range the actual velocity number
serves as a volume scaling mechanism, but the overall MIDI velocity
allows the piano to be played with different samples.

   After the sample is chosen, and scaled as per the specific velocity
info, it is then scaled again with MIDI volume.

   There may be other ways to do stuff like this, but this is pretty
standard in GSt and other Win/Mac based sample players.

Cheers,
Mark