[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Sun Dec 8 15:31:01 UTC 2002

> > > Linux Audio Developers' More Sophisticated Plugin API (=LADMSPA) ? :-D
> >
> > umm, veto?
>
> I jokingly suggested XLP in a previous thread on a similar subject. It
> could be... eXtended Linux Plugins?
>
> Maybe XLI would be good here.

I once suggested OPI, but was stringly suggested to include 'audio' or
'sound' or something in it.  Problem is that 'Plugin Interface' or 'Plugin
Architecture' takes up two letters, and we all know good acronyms are THREE
letters.  Also 'Plugin Interface' (which I prefer to 'architecture') happens
to be the last part of the already well defined 'API' acronym.  Maybe we can
leave that bit out?

As for 'Linux' I prefer it be OS neutral.  And please don't say GNU.

I've converted it to PAPI for now, since it is easier to speak, and I
'speak' in my head as I write.  {Portable, Public, Puerile} Audio Plugin
Interface.  or 'PAPI Audio Plugin Interface'?

My personal preference is for something that doesn't have to be spelled to
be spoken.  I know most people say VSTi as 'visty'.

Tim