[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 9 07:55:00 UTC 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 13.14, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 02:20:11PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > I was more thinking that some controls would disable certain
> > functions, or limit other controls.  Assuming that there is no
> > get() method for a control, and the host knows the value by
> > remembering, then the plugin does need to alert the host if it
> > 'ignores' something, or the host will have the wrong value.
>
> This sounds pretty complex. I'm not sure the hosts will be able to
> reliably implement this correctly.

It doesn't have to, unless it actually cares. If you save a preset
with a "bad" value in some field, the plugin will just fix it when
you load the preset.

There's just one problem: In what order do you write the controls
back to ensure you end up with the exact same result?

Anyway, if the host *does* keep track of "last value written",
supporting the "I'll make that X instead!" event is just a matter of
writing X into that "last value written" variable.