[linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 08:55:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 11:39:38AM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> In theory, the problem is very easy to solve: Have the host throw in
> "shadow event ports", and then have it sort/merge the queues from
> those into a single, ordered queue that is passed to the actual
> target port.

I dont think this totally solves the problem.

There is also the latency problem, if the instrument generates output
events with the same timestamp as some input event (reasonable) then it
wont receive those same event until its next processing block, what does
it do then? They are all arriving "late".

Should the host add latency to the events (by adding one blocks worth to
the event time)?

Of course this is only a problem when you have graphs with feedback,
otherwise there is a linear execution order that ensures this kind of
problem wont happen.

- Steve