[linux-audio-dev] XAP: SILENT event handling

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 10:24:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:11:51PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > I was assuming the SILENT event would be aginst a voice ID.
>
> Uhm, a Voice is an abstract object that has no known relation to
> whatever audio outputs the synth may have... The SILENT event I'm
> talking about is what a reverb FX would send when the tail goes below
> the threshold, or that a synth would send when *all* Voices that are
> routed (dry) to a certain audio output are dead.

OK, that sounds useful, but also really hard. Realisticly a reverb can't
tell when its gone to zero except by inspection and guesswork. If it has
nonlienar internal behaviour it may not even be possible/practical. I
tried to cacluate the RT60 time for Josep's gong model, based on the
feedback levels. It turned out to be /seriously/ hard. Basicly not
possible without actually running it ;)

I though you wanted it so that the host would know when instrument voices
had finsihed (as in saol or csound).

If you want to render tails I think its just better to have a postroll
time like ardour (and presuamably protools).

- Steve