[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 9 11:06:01 UTC 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 16.09, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:33:47PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Well, let's put it as simple as this:
> >
> > 	If your plugin has controls that may refuse certain values
> > 	within the valid range, they *must* tell the host when this
> > 	happens. Otherwise, automation and preset save/restore will
> > 	most probably not function properly.
>
> Doesnt it make more sense to require imstruments to handle all
> values in the range that they declare as valid? Thats not hard.

Hmm... Well, yes, but how do you handle these enum controls with
"random" modes that can be disabled depending on the values of other
controls?

IMHO, such controls would be a sign of bad design, and in that case,
we could basically just rule them out, or rather ignore (*) them -
but I could be missing something.

(*) That is, force plugins to accept and keep the values. If a value
    is "bad", the plugin should have a concistent way of internally
    using a different value, in a way that guarantees that any set
    of parameters, written to the plugin in any order, always results
    in the same internal configuration

Maybe (hopefully) that's all there is to it?