[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 9 11:43:01 UTC 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 17.05, Steve Harris wrote:
> I really dont like the idea of having two forms of pitch data, and
> I dont like the idea of implicity putting pitch converters in the
> graph.

Well, it can be done with one form only, that will only make life
harder on those who don't want to truly understand non-12tET scales.

> Its messy and unnessary.

It may be messy if done wrong, but I strongly doubt anyone on the VST
list would agree that it is unnecsessary. They convinced me, at least.

> The overhead from making the small number of processors that
> require it get the host to do the conversions is probably no higher
> than having converter plugins and its so much cleaner.

It's not cleaner in any way, since for this to be useful, the plugin
has to figure out what scale it should ask about.

Again, there is no such thing as a single, global scale. If you
assume that, you may as well ignore anything about non-12tET
altogether.

> The host
> still needs some way of communicating the scale information to the
> converter plugins.

Well, yeah - presets. Just like with any other plugins. A scale
converter is an *effect*, and deserves to be treated as such by the
API.