[linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 16:42:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:00:19 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> not exactly. you can pass them the ID of an X Window to draw
> into. they can look it up and then use it. it won't be a top-level
> window, which will create some restrictions on what they can do, and
> so they have to expect this to be the case.

Right, well I wasn't thinking it would work with existing apps. More of a
target for new things that are bigger than plugins, but not really complex
(like meterbridge).

> it suffers from several the usual incompatible toolkit problems, but
> not quite as many. as long as the toolkit allows you to add a foreign
> window, it could be made to work.

Any idea how many do?

> >Other than looking cool, it would actually be a useful way to keep window
> >clutter down. Not that we have any 19" lookalike apps yet, but I guess we
> >will do at some point.
>
> you wish.

Actually I have a clutch of small jack things that could be cleaned up and
19"-ised. I'm sure there will be more in the future.

> ps. just how big is a 19" lookalike going to be?

Yeah, well. thats something of a religous issue. 1 pixel per mm ;)

A quick servey of windows 19" alike samplers, compressors and synths looks
like they tend to be in the 500 pixel region. To some extent it doesn't
matter it reduces the variables for simple UIs and that can be a good
thing.

A lot of people would probably arugue that it should be a screen
dimension *shrug*. At this point I only care if it's even possible.

- Steve