[linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Bob Ham node at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 9 17:38:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:00:19PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> it suffers from several the usual incompatible toolkit problems, but
> not quite as many. as long as the toolkit allows you to add a foreign
> window, it could be made to work.

Seeing as this has come up again, I asked on the #gtk+ channel on
irc.gnome.org the other day about why you can't use gtk+ and qt (for
example) in the same app, and whether or not it's likely to change.
They had this to say:

<owen> node: Well, really depends on the other toolkit....
<owen> node: And whether you want to share the Display connection or not.
<owen> node: GTK+ is perfectly happy to let another toolkit share its main loop
<owen> node: Metacity is an example of how you can leach of GDK's display
             connection, but sharing a single display is inherently going
             to be hard

Has anybody actually tried to get gtk+ and qt working in the same
application?

Bob