[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 17:47:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:01:15 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> Well, those kind of belong together - at least if you're working on
> the level where feedback loops are used frequently. I think an
> "ordinary" plugin API can do some of this, but only for sane feedback
> delays, unless you can accept burning most of the CPU time on
> overhead.

It doesnt have to be that expensive, but you have to design your system
that way from the ground up, and it basicly rules out conventional
plugins.

> Modular synths that generate code from graphs are a rather
> interesting approach, though... :-)

Aren't they :) There is a good one for Windows, called SyncModular. You
can drill down right into the basic filters and see a bunch of z^-1's and
amplifiers :)

You could do better under linux with Free Software, but I just dont have
enough free time, or GUI skills :(

Linuxsampler is using a similar approach, but its not blockless (and
it wouldn't be noticably better if it was).

Still if anyone ever wants to tackle this they can have a fair chunk of my
spare brain cycles.

- Steve