[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 9 19:44:00 UTC 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 23.41, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:01:15 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Well, those kind of belong together - at least if you're working
> > on the level where feedback loops are used frequently. I think an
> > "ordinary" plugin API can do some of this, but only for sane
> > feedback delays, unless you can accept burning most of the CPU
> > time on overhead.
>
> It doesnt have to be that expensive, but you have to design your
> system that way from the ground up, and it basicly rules out
> conventional plugins.

Exactly. Conventional plugins have a more complex API and more
overhead, and thus, they're not very well suited for stuff where you
frequently have very short feedback loops.

In short, you're supposed to build the feedback loops into the
plugins. (That's why you need so many different plugins to do
anything interesting... *heh*)