[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Tue Dec 10 02:02:01 UTC 2002

> > the RT engine - *unless* you decide on a number of VVIDs to allocate
> > for each Channel of every plugin, right when they're instantiated.
>
> That sound most sensible. The instrument has to allocate voice table
> space, so there is likly to be an internal (soft) limit anyway.

so this is the bit about VVIDs that bothers me - inefficient carving.
* Must get more VVIDs than the instrument's polyphony
* Must get enough so that if something else asks you can dole some out
* Must get as few as possible to limit wastage.

As was expressed - anyone who has a good idea how to work this out, speak
up.