[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Tue Dec 10 02:06:01 UTC 2002

> It doesn't have to, unless it actually cares. If you save a preset
> with a "bad" value in some field, the plugin will just fix it when
> you load the preset.
>
> There's just one problem: In what order do you write the controls
> back to ensure you end up with the exact same result?

The order the plugin presents them to you?  If there are dependencies
between controls can we have the plugin author be responsible for making
their indices reflect it?  Otherwise we can add yet another field to
controls which says the order in which to write presets.  Ick.
Serialize/deserialize solves this nicely, btw :)

> Anyway, if the host *does* keep track of "last value written",
> supporting the "I'll make that X instead!" event is just a matter of
> writing X into that "last value written" variable.

Exactly. If a plug doesn't support it, no big deal.  If it does, cool.