[linux-audio-dev] Synth APIs, pitch control

nick nixx at nixx.org.uk
Tue Dec 10 05:43:00 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 08:38, Sami P Perttu wrote:
> Hi everybody. I've been reading this list for a week. Thought I'd "pitch"
> in here because I'm also writing a softstudio; it's pretty far already and
> the first public release is scheduled Q1/2003.

for Linux, obviously? ;-)

> First, I don't understand why you want to design a "synth API". If you
> want to play a note, why not instantiate a DSP network that does the job,
> connect it to the main network (where system audio outs reside), run it
> for a while and then destroy it? That is what events are in my system -
> timed modifications to the DSP network.

because a standard API is needed for a dynamically loaded plugins!
LADSPA doesnt really cater for event-driven processes (synths)

I've kept quiet for this thread, since i haven't had time to read all
the posts :-/ but i can see its evolving into something very different
than i had envisaged.

For a complete contrast, please look over
http://amsynthe.sourceforge.net/amp_plugin.h which i am still toying
with as a(nother) plugin api suitable for synths. I was hoping to wait
until i had a nicely written host and plugins to demonstrate it
effectively, but that could be a few more weeks - the code's there but
its a bit of a hack ATM.

It's very close to VST, and that was the idea - to make it easy to write
a plugin for both at once!

The argument against c++ has been a constantly changing ABI, but with
the release of GCC 3.2 it finally looks like G++ will have a stable API.
time will tell i guess.

Please feel free to express your opinion of 'AMP'.

-nick