[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Tue Dec 10 09:17:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:03:42 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> >Not if it generates machine code. That way, it could (theoretically)
>>
>> in realtime? we'll need everybodies' spare cpu cycles!
>
>No, it really isn't that slow.
>
>SyncModular does a similar trick.

it'd still be interesting to know how the sync problems this
method poses are solved: you cannot rely on executable code
modifications to be atomic. an indirect jump instruction is
not guaranteed to work ok: a pointer on x86 is 32 bits, and
atomic is 24 bits (besides, indirect jumps have ill influence
on the cache). could do this with branching though -- but you
don't want your dsp code interspersed with volatile if()s.

tim