[linux-audio-dev] Synth APIs, pitch control

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Dec 10 14:55:01 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 11.38, nick wrote:
[...]
> For a complete contrast, please look over
> http://amsynthe.sourceforge.net/amp_plugin.h which i am still
> toying with as a(nother) plugin api suitable for synths. I was
> hoping to wait until i had a nicely written host and plugins to
> demonstrate it effectively, but that could be a few more weeks -
> the code's there but its a bit of a hack ATM.
>
> It's very close to VST, and that was the idea - to make it easy to
> write a plugin for both at once!

IMHO, VST is a somewhat messy LADSPA, which now (after the addition
of some features and the event interface) is suffering severely from
being expanded in ways not originally taken in account.

I think we should learn from what VST does and how. I also think we
should *learn* from it's mistakes - not copy them!

> The argument against c++ has been a constantly changing ABI, but
> with the release of GCC 3.2 it finally looks like G++ will have a
> stable API.

Yeah, right! ;-)

> time will tell i guess.

Indeed.

Other reasons not to use C++ for an API like this:

	* C++ is major overkill for this kind of API.
	* "Everyone" knows C - few know C++ well enough.
	* Harder to make language wrappers.