[linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Dec 10 17:02:00 UTC 2002

>Yes. Event/audio time is one thing, and musical time is something
>completely different, although related.

you've just defined "event time" to be the same as "audio time". thats
a mistake, i think. there are some definite benefits to being able to
define events' time in musical time as well.

>Musical time can be a bit hairy to calculate, so I don't think it's a
>good idea to do it all the time, and pass it to all plugins.

VST does this the right way. or rather, existing steinberg hosts
do. they don't compute the information till a plugin asks for it. then
they cache it for that "block", handing the same data to any other plugin.

>What you want is a callback that gives you the musical time
>corresponding to a timestamp, and probably a few other variants as
>well.

this isn't adequate. the VST time info struct contains pretty much no
dead wood at all, IMHO.

--p