[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 10 18:39:00 UTC 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:22:13PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > It *does* hurt the 12tET case, at least unless you're suggesting
> > > that sequencers should always store 1.0/octave...?
> >
> > I thought sequencers were going to send note numbers?
>
> Sequencers are going to store pitch in the form of floats. The
> argument is about whether these should be in 1.0/note or (1/12)/note
> format. (And this has nothing to do with scales or notes/octave; it's
> <something>/note, period.)

Well, some sequencers will want to work in pure ptich and not care about
notes at all (probably not many, but some).

> > The tone/scale magic is hardly ever useful though, it it forces
> > everyone else to work around a factor of 12.
>
> Or forces a few (or so we seem to thing) to work around a factor of
> 1/12...

Sure, but its fewer.

> Either way, this is the situation: We have to pick *two* out of three
> good things:
>
> 	1. 1.0/octave
> 	2. 1.0/note
> 	3. No conversions for 12tET.
>
> I think I would pick 1 + 2, and accept that conversion is required
> whenever you want to drive 1.0/octave from 1.0/note, but you rejected
> that.

Did I? That wasn't my intention. I'm happy as long as pitch is 1.0/octave,
if notes are 1.0/note too then thats even better.

The host callback thing was just a suggestion to avoid the use of scale
converters.

- Steve