[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Dec 10 18:57:20 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 00.01, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 07:51:58 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Hmm... IIRC, someone initially misunderstood my design and
> > thought the VVIDs were a common resource maintaned by the host.
>
> That was me I think. Which is why I though it was a good idea :)

Yeah - and you were right. :-)

Just took me a while to figure out this "voice marks the VVID instead
of the other way around" thing. It's rather obvious when you think of
it! ;-)

> > This is optional for plugins, of course. The VVID is now not just
> > Channel unique, but *host* unique, so you can still use the
> > actual value for mark/search.
>
> Yup, seems OK to me. I'm still not quite sure about handing on
> allocations to a "sub" instrument. Well, actually, I'm not sure why
> its neccesary.

"Sub" as in "plugin host another plugin"?

Either way, it's just like memory. (It *is*, quite literally!) If you
need some, allocate some. Just don't forget to hand it back when
you're done! :-)