[linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Dec 10 19:43:58 UTC 2002

>See how I handle this in Audiality. Originally, I thought it would be
>a nice idea to be able to queue events ahead of the current buffer,
>but it turned out to be a very bad idea for various reasons.
>
>And normal plugins don't generate and "output" audio or control data
>an arbitrary number of buffers ahead. Why should they do that with
>events?

you are discussing an API that is intended to support *instruments*.
any such API needs to be able to handle the following kind of request:

    at bar 13, beat 3, start playing a sound corresponding to note
       134, and enter a release phase at bar 14, beat 2.

now, if you don't handle this by prequeing events, then that simply
means that something else has to queue the events and deliver them at
the right time.

so this devolves into that old question: do you implement prequeueing
once and make it available to all clients of the API, or you do
require each one to do it over?

--p