[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 06:12:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:26:01 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> You're missing that I'm not talking about 1.0/octave, linear pitch,
> but <something>/note, *note* pitch. That means <something>/note
> should *always* apply, and that <something> should be constant.
> Changing it is totally pointless, since you'd still have note pitch.
>
> Changing the "size" of one note is about as silly as changing the
> "size" of one octave; that's my whole point. (1/12)/note for note
> pitch *is* just as silly as 12.0/octave for linear pitch.

Well, only if you regard a note as a first class object (I dont).

(1/12)/note makes more sense because theres /is/ someting very 12ey about
12tET notes (the clues in the name ;), whereas there is nothing 12ey about
octaves. At all.

> Some plugins think in 1.0/note, and others in 1.0/octave. If you want
> to connect them, you'll need "something" that expresses 1.0/note as
> 1.0/octave according to your scale of choice. Just as if you were
> going to connect a MIDI controller to a CV synth.

Just for the record I do think that having a note representation in the
API is wrong, but I'm letting it slide. I guess I'l never write any code
to support it anyway.

- Steve