[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 11 10:47:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:40:18 +0000, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> I can't really say I can think of a better way though.
> Personally I'd leave scales out of the API and let the host deal
> with it, sticking to 1.0/octave throughout, but I can see the
> advantages of this as well.

Problem with letting the host worry about it is that the host would
normally not understand anything of this whatsoever, since the normal
case would be that a sequencer *plugin* controls the synths. It would
be a hack.

As to API, all there is to it is the existence of a note_pitch hint
for pitch controls, that suggests that the value *could* be
interpretted as something else than 1.0/octave. If you want
1.0/octave throughout, just ignore it and think of any pitch control
you see as 1.0/octave.