[linux-audio-dev] Re: Synth APIs, pitch control

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 11 10:59:01 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 12.38, Sami P Perttu wrote:
[...]
> I shall have to add something like this to MONKEY. Right now it
> supports LADSPA via a wrapper - the native API is pretty complex -
> although creating a nice GUI based on just information in a LADSPA
> .so is not possible, mainly due to lack of titles for enums.

That's something we might want to consider. Indeed, building names
into binaries means we'll actually need one binary for each language
(uurgh! reminds me of how Windoze "handles" languages...), but I'm
not sure external files are worth the extra complexity...

How about just having english in the source, and then add XML
translations later on, if desired? (Support is optional to host, and
plugins won't know about it.)

You could just hack an "application" that loads and queries plugins
and outputs XML containing all names found in a structure
corresponding to that of the plugin. Then you copy and translate that
for each new langugage. If plugin are named <plugin>.so, name these
<plugin>_<language acronym>.xml or something.