Fwd: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 11 12:24:01 UTC 2002

(Oops. Replied to the direct reply, rather than via the list. Please,
don't CC me - I'm on the list! :-)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:05:57 +0100
From: David Olofson <david at olofson.net>
To: Nathaniel Virgo <nathaniel.virgo at ntlworld.com>

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 17.50, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 December 2002 3:41 pm, David Olofson wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:40:18 +0000, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> > > I can't really say I can think of a better way though.
> > > Personally I'd leave scales out of the API and let the host
> > > deal with it, sticking to 1.0/octave throughout, but I can see
> > > the advantages of this as well.
> >
> > Problem with letting the host worry about it is that the host
> > would normally not understand anything of this whatsoever, since
> > the normal case would be that a sequencer *plugin* controls the
> > synths. It would be a hack.
>
> Oh.  Well, when I said host I meant sequencer.

I see. Well, either way, I still prefer thinking of scale converters
as something I may just plugin, rather than waiting for my favourite
sequencer to support the kind of scales I want. One multichannel
event processor plugin more or less in the net won't be a disaster -
and again, you *can* use 1.0/octave in the sequencer as well as an
alternative.