[linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 11 16:17:00 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 21.00, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > > i'm convinced it's better to design one system that works
> > > for event-only as well as audio-only plugins and allows for
> > > the mixed case, too. everything else is an arbitrary
> > > limitation of the system's capabilities.
> >
> > So, you want our real time synth + effect API to also be a
> > full-blown off-line music editing plugin API? Do you realize the
> > complexity consequences of such a design choice?
>
> Umm, I want that.

Well, so do I, actually - but the thing has to be designed, and it
should preferably take less than a few years to fully understand the
API. ;-)

> I have little need for the RT features, myself.
> I want to use this API in a FruityLoops like host, where the user
> is not bothered with making wiring decisions or RT/non-RT behavior.
>  I want to use it to develop tracks in the studio.  So far, I don't
> see anything preventing that. My host, as it evolves in my mind,
> will allow things that you won't.  You can load a new instrument at
> run time.  It might glitch.  So what.  It will certainly be usable
> live, but that is not the primary goal.

I always jam and record "live" data from MIDI or other stuff, so I
definitely need plugins in a net to run perfectly with very low
latency - with sequencer control, "live" control, or both.

As to loading instruments at run time, making connections and all
that, it's not absolutely required for me, but I'd really rather be
*able* to implement a host that can do it, should I feel like it. I
don't think this will matter much to the design of the API. The
details I can think of are required to support SMP systems as well,
so it isn't even RT-only stuff.

> As for time vs. time debates, my original idea was that each block
> was based on musical time (1/100th of a quarter note or something).

That would imply a rather low resolution on the tempo control, I
think...

>  I've been convinced that sample-accurate events are good.  That
> doesn't mean I need to change the tick-size, I think.

Of course not - but you *can* if you like. :-)