[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Wed Dec 11 17:57:00 UTC 2002

David Olofson wrote:

>On Wednesday 11 December 2002 13.59, David Gerard Matthews wrote:
>
>>Steve Harris wrote:

>>>We could put it to a vote ;)
>>>
>>>- Steve
>>>
>>I vote 1.0/octave.
>>

>So do I, definitely.
>
>There has never been an argument about <something>/octave, and there
>no longer is an argument about 1.0/octave.
>
>The "argument" is about whether or not we should have a scale related
>pitch control type *as well*. It's really more of a hint than an
>actual data type, as you could just assume "1tET" and use both as
>1.0/octave.
>
>The need for 1.0/note or similar arrise when you want to work with
>something like 12t without deciding on the exact tuning, and also
>when you want to write "simple" event processor plugins that think it
>terms of notes rather than actual pitch.

Not to sound rude or anything, but I've been following this thread and
still
have yet to be convinced of the necessity for an internal conept of "note".
Disclaimers: 1) Although schooled intensively in classical music theory (I
have even taught it at the university level), I consider the whole conept
of "notes" a little outdated; and (more importantly) 2) my coding skills
are still pretty rudimentary.
I can see the need for conversion from, say midi note numbers, but I
have to admit that I still don't really see the need for an API to know
about "notes".
-dgm