Fwd: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 07:32:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:31:52 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > A synth could still have a built in event
> > processor, but it should only process linear_pitch events.
>
> Yes - but you could not implement a useful arpeggiator that way, for
> example. It would do the wrong thing as soon as you're not using
> 12tET anymore - and *now*, users wouldn't have clue as to why this
> happens, because the synth *lies* and says that it cares only about
> linear_pitch...

I dont think thats true, all ET scales can be arpegiated trivially from
the octave number, and arpegiate for non ET scales is a hard problem
anyway, providing note numbers doesn't help.

> Yeah. We could "strongly suggest" things, but officially saying "you
> cannot do this" about things that are physically possible is
> dangerous. Host coders might actually take your word for it!
>
> And then everyone goes "Hmm... That's actually useful, after all."
> Bang! VST host incompatibilities reinvented... *heh*

Yes. I prefer to just now support things that are occasionaly slightly
helpful to developers, but can lead to problems later.

- Steve