[linux-audio-dev] XAP and these <MEEP> timestamps...

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 07:39:00 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 12:16:09 +0100, David Olofson wrote:

> I (still) don't think musical time belongs in timestamps of your
> average event in XAP. Those events are meant to act as an alternative
> to audio rate controls or blockless processing. The host gives you a
> time frame to work with (expressed as a number of audio frames), and
> that's the timeframe you're meant to work with. This applies to audio
> as well as events.

I agree. For efficiect reasons if nothing else, having musical events
mixed in with your data events would make it very hard to parse.

Musical time can be expressed in the same way it is in VST (as I
understand it) or jack and friends.

It does need to be part of the API, but not mixed in with the (very low
level) event system.

- Steve