Fwd: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 09:32:00 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:46:29PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > and arpegiate for non ET scales is a hard
> > problem anyway, providing note numbers doesn't help.
>
> Yes it does, since you need to deal *only* with the note number. The
> scale converter then generates the correct pitch for the notes in the
> scale that you reference. That's the whole point with using
> note_pitch and scale converters at all.

I dont think that arpegiation from a non ET scale will fall exactly on a
note anyway - though I'd have to think about that. I guess it depends what
key you're in... which can't be expressed in a note number anyway, so I
still think its redundant.

Now I think about it you wouldn't want to do arpegiation using note
numbers, what you're interested in the the pitch coefficient to get the
correct harmonic relation.

- Steve