[linux-audio-dev] JACK - Current state?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Dec 12 14:10:01 UTC 2002

On Thursday 12 December 2002 15.01, Oliver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking at JACK (http://jackit.sourceforge.net/) for
> a small project I'd like to work on some time soon. It sounds like
> a promising concept. It's interesting for me because I don't have
> to write my own audio loop. My questions are:
>
> -Is it in a state where I can actually use it? Or are there so many
> things still to be done so you wouldn't advise me to build
> something on top of it?

AFAIK, it's been usable for a good while now, and a whole bunch of
applications support it.

Maybe it has to be extended later on (tunnelling of events and
similar protocols), but I don't think there will be any significant
changes in the API or semantics for existing features.

> -Is there any competing "product" at the moment? What are the
> chances that JACK will be the standard in the future? (Try to
> remain as objective as you can, please.)

Well, that would be ReWire - but that's rather irreleant, for two
reasons:

	1. ReWire is not Free, nor available for Linux.

	2. ReWire only supports loading "applications" as
	   shared libraries - which is *exactly* what we
	   want to avoid under Linux, because of technical
	   issues, mostly with GUI toolkits.