Fwd: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Dec 12 16:01:01 UTC 2002

On Thursday 12 December 2002 17.13, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:10:07PM +0000, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> > The only real disadvantage to this scheme is that some
> > note-processing algorithms probably don't work in relative pitch.
> >  For example, if for some reason you wanted to map all 12 tones
> > of a normal scale onto just the white keys, while keeping the
> > pitch bend range at 2 semitones, you wouldn't be able to do it in
> > this system.  The note_pitch way of doing things doesn't solve
> > this either, come to that, it just makes the problem less
> > obvious.
>
> I'm coming to this conclusion too, I think that note numbering is
> just a red herring: you still dont have enough scale metadata to do
> any processing on it, unless its ET, and then its trivial whatever
> your pitch representation.

I disagree. The implicit information that note_pitch brings is that
each note is placed *approximately* at the theoretical pitch of the
corresponding note in a scale. This lets your event processors think
in terms of simplified theory (such as 12t - tuning is irrelevant),
while you can *still* tweak the tuning of each note to your taste
afterwards, by using a suitable scale converter.