[linux-audio-dev] Re: Synth APIs, pitch control

nick nixx at nixx.org.uk
Thu Dec 12 16:02:00 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 11:38, Sami P Perttu wrote:
> > > a softstudio; it's pretty far already and
> > > the first public release is scheduled Q1/2003.
> >
> > for Linux, obviously? ;-)
>
> Yes. Linux, GPL. MONKEY is about 30.000 lines of C++ at the moment. I
> still have to make a final architecture revision based on some issues
> reading this list has evoked, and prepare the whole thing for release.

I'm looking forward to it :-)

> > For a complete contrast, please look over
> > http://amsynthe.sourceforge.net/amp_plugin.h which i am still toying
> > with as a(nother) plugin api suitable for synths. I was hoping to wait
>
> I like this better than the more complex proposal being worked on, except
> that I don't much care for MIDI myself. But I also realize the need for
> the event/channel/bay/voice monster because it is more efficient and
> potentially doesn't require plugins to be instantiated while a song is
> playing. I don't think one API can fit all sizes.

My whole idea with it was to make it as simple as possible. Bearing in
mind that many people have learned MIDI already, it makes sense to me to
use it. Another cool thing is that you could in theory write a sequencer
as a plugin for it - since it can output midi data as it wishes. Other
plugins such as midi arpeggiators could easily be written. All the
timing is catered for since you know the number of frames elapsed in
this process_**() call.

Also I find the whole notion of 'ports' just complicates the whole issue
- the plugin is simply a piece of DSP code which processes buffer(s) of
audio data. why is anything more than a pointer needed for this?

/end rant

-nick