[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Thu Dec 12 21:13:00 UTC 2002

> > newchannel_idx = plug->new_channel(channel_descriptor_idx);  The

> But the host is allowed to assume that it is in fact an *index*; not
> just a cookie?

I guess no, it doesn't matter - it's a cookie.

> I see. (No problem as long as there is no assumption that anything is
> both an input and an output and that kind of stuff.)

No, each port is an in or an out

> How about a mixer with variable insert count? There are several ways
> to implement that, but I can't think of one that doesn't require
> either that dreaded "link" feature, or an extra level of "grouping"...

I prefer not to tie the model to hardware like that:  I prefer to think of
the insert effects as coming before the mixer in the chain.  I think it's
just simpler.

> So, you basically have a bunch of control channel descriptions and a
> bunch of io channel descriptions, and then the host can test for
> valid combinations of those when adding new channels?

That's what I was saying.  I'm not sure it's really useful.

I need to digest the rest of this email.  I'll have a new version of the
header with most of what we've been discussing in one form or another
hopefully tonight.  Then we can keep banging out details.

Tim